For people who are looking to get in the best shape of their life, CrossFit is becoming a popular option. The combination of Olympic lifting and gymnastic exercises are great for building strength and endurance.
CrossFit programs are high-intensity, and, like any other high-intensity sport, there is a small risk for injury. If you have been injured while performing a CrossFit activity, don’t worry. The physical therapists and sport medicine specialists at Layton Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine can diagnose the injury, recommend a treatment, and help you understand injury prevention techniques.
There are many things you can do right now to prevent sports-related injuries. If you adhere to these tips, you can significantly decrease the likelihood that you will sustain an injury during your training, testing, and competing routine.
- In the beginning, start slow and light with weight until you master the basic movements
- Check your ego at the door, and don’t let yourself be coerced into more than you can handle
- Make sure you warm up and cool down daily when you do your WODs
- Practice mechanics and consistency before increase the intensity of movements before going heavy
- Pay attention to persistent pains after your workouts
- Take active rest and recovery days as prescribed
Though it is important that you listen to your coach, make sure you take heed of your body and ask questions if you don’t understand how you should do a movement properly.
If you have sustained a sports injury, call Layton Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine at (801) 896-9624 today to make an appointment!