A sprained ankle is perhaps the most common injury that happens during any type of physical activity. They can be very different in severity, ranging from a minor soreness to severe pain. If you have recently experienced an ankle sprain that is causing you pain or is keeping you from your daily activities, come talk with Layton Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine.
Physical Therapy for a Sprained Ankle
If you have an ankle sprain, you can considerably decrease the amount of time it takes to recover by initiating the physical therapy process as soon as possible. Some of our rehabilitating techniques help to:
- Promote ankle movement shortly after the injury
- Get your ankle back to having a full range of motion
- Establish stability and proprioception programs
- Decrease scarred muscle tissue effectively
After an ankle injury, it is important that you start moving the ankle right after the injury. While other therapists might brace your ankle and discourage movement, that can actually set your recovery time back. At Layton Physical Therapy and Sports medicine, we always want to encourage staying active to get back to doing the sports and activities you love.
However, if you have had persistent pain from an ankle injury, our physical therapists recommend giving ASTYM a try. Where other treatments didn’t work, patients with ankle injuries have found relief with ASTYM.
Preventing Ankle Sprains
Regardless of whether you are a professional athlete or don’t engage in much physical activity, you are at risk for minor and severe ankle injuries. However, there are some things you can do on a daily basis to reduce your chances. Here are some examples:
- Lightly jog before beginning any physical activity
- Stretch your ankle using dynamic flexibility techniques
- Wear athletic shoes that fit well for your foot type and size
- Regularly replace your shoes when the soles wear out
- Avoid running on uneven or hard surfaces like concrete
By following this advice, you can help prevent future ankle injuries. And, if you currently have an ankle sprain that is causing you pain, call Layton Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine today at (801) 896-9624 to make an appointment!